Friday, July 12, 2013

Science Garden/History Vine

What happens when a teacher and her uber-creative friend begin brainstorming?
 
crackers, salami, gourmet cheese, apples, and chocolate chips to keep up our strength
 
A construction paper science garden and history vine for my classroom wall!
 
In the beginning of the year, I will put up dirt mounds labeled with the science chapter titles and a pot and pole on which a history vine will grow!
 
Every time we start a new chapter in history, a new section of vine will go up with the title of the chapter written on the leaf. Construction paper fruit can be added with pictures from whatever we're studying. While we're studying science, I will slowly add an already-cut stem, leaves, and flower middle. My students can make their own flower petals, and we'll put a picture from the unit in the middle.
 
Those leaves? My artsy friend cut out all of them!
 
At least, that's the plan.
 
I'm excited about it! It will help hold me accountable to keep us moving along. Parents will be able to see what their children have learned. And hopefully my students will get motivated and anticipate the garden growing more and more till it is all filled and summer is here again. Besides all that, it's just cool.
 
And it's all cut out already! I told my friend when she/we came up with the idea, the problem is
 
I won't do it unless everything is already done.
 
Thankful for free time and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment