Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Homeschool Convention and Kinesthetic/ADHD Students

This weekend I had a blast at the Valley Home Educator's Home School Convention. I graduated from homeschool high school ten years ago. I still enjoy dipping back into that world.

I also went to the conference to learn! I went to sessions like "Your Child May Never Be Normal, But They Can Be Extraordinary!" and "Active Child? ADHD? Laying the Groundwork for Solutions," both by Dr. Stephen Guffanti, who was apparently a horrific child with ADHD and dyslexia who eventually made it through medical school. :)

I learned that kids with ADHD have great potential if you can discover their passion and let them chase their passions, like the risk taking, not-thinking-ahead, builders of the Eerie Canal.

I learned that kinesthetic learners are not learning when they are looking you in the eye. They are focusing so hard on looking you in the eye that they are not listening! Instead, they have to be allowed to move. (One homeschool mom who is ADD has had success with giving the students she tutors a rubberband to quietly play with. Or she suggested letting a child use a pilates ball as a chair because it requires them to put their energy into balancing.)

I learned that centering exercises like ballet or karate can help the ADHD child.

I learned that for a kinesthetic learner/ADHD child, sitting still is physically painful.

I learned that cardio exercises like jumping jacks heightens the adrenaline. So instead of telling a misbehaving boy to do some kind of cardio activity, instead you should have him do a cross-over exercise (example: windmills) to help him focus. On the flip-side, if the boy is struggling with multiplication and is about to cry from frustration, jumping jacks or running is just the thing to bring back the adrenaline and energy.

Corollary: Punishing a boy by having him do a cardio exercise does not work. Give him something very boring to do.

Everything I learned confirmed my decision to try out Whole Brain Teaching this year! Reading the chapter summaries of those who are reading the book really helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment